Indian Railways is one of the highest employment sectors in the country and is attempted by huge masses every year. As one completes their secondary level of examination, the preparation for Indian Railways begins in different categories. We will talk about such categories like Non-Technical Popular Categories (NTPC), JE, Paramedical, Group C & Group D recruitments, their eligibility, age limit, salary, and upcoming vacancies in 2023 in this article. To Read More about RRB Recruitment, Read More
16 Jobs Found On 'RRB government jobs'
Railway Recruitment Board had already been in the news as the Government declared more than 2 lakh posts to be filled in the coming two years. The SC, ST and OBC groups already have a reservation of 19715, 9857 and 35485 positions as per the first phase of recruitment that began in Feb-March, this year. Among the rest, 10% was reserved for and filled by the Economically Weaker Sections or EWS. In the second phase 15000, 7500, 27000 and 10000 positions are reserved and being filled by SC, ST, OBC & EWS classes accordingly.
There are 21 Railway Recruitment Boards(RRB) and 17 Railway Recruitment Cells (RRC) in India located at different states and regions, that come up with different posts and vacancies at regular intervals. The staff is recruited under four categories: Group A & B (gazetted) and Group C & D (Non-Gazetted) Employees. Group A is hired through UPSC examinations, whereas Group B is through promotion from Group C or through RRB, Group C is hired through the RRB divisions across Nation and Group D is through RRC or Railway Recruitment Cells across the nation.
1. NTPC – Under Non-Technical Popular Categories come posts like Junior Clerk cum Typist, Accounts Clerk-cum-Typists, Commercial cum Ticket Clerk, Traffic Assistant, Goods Guard, Apprentice, Station Master, etc.
2. PARA-MEDICAL – Under Para Medical come posts like Staff Nurse, Health Inspector, Pharmacist, ECG Technician, Lab Assistant, Superintendent, etc.
3. MINISTERIAL & ISOLATED CATEGORIES – Under this category falls Stenographer, Chief Law Assistant, Translator, etc
4. LEVEL-1 POSTS & SAFETY STAFF – This comes under the Railway Recruitment Cells and as declared there are 1.42 lakhs safety staff positions vacant in 2023 which include Security, Engineering staff, Signal and telecom, loco pilots, etc. Under Level 1 posts, fall Track Maintainer IV, Gateman, Pointsman, Helpers in different departments, Porter, etc.
Examination Pattern :
1. NTPC: The NTPC Prelims Examinations comprise 4 sections of Arithmetic Ability, Reasoning, General Awareness, General Science of 100 marks(20+25+30+25) while Mains comprise the same of 120 total marks (30+30+30+30). In few positions, joining happens after prelims, mains, and document verification while in a few cases candidates need to appear for typing skills tests or aptitude tests after the examinations.
2. PARAMEDICAL – The Para Medical examinations generally comprise computer-based(CBT) 100 marks multiple choice of Professional Ability (70), General Awareness (10), General Arithmetic (10), and General Science (10). However, the syllabus varies according to the different posts applied for. For example, the curriculum for the post of Dietician includes Nutrition, Human Body, Food Microbiology, Public Health & Nutrition whereas for Staff Nurse, it is Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Surgical Nursing, Psychology etc. Similarly, there are different syllabi for posts like Dialysis Technician, Dental Hygienist, Extension Educator, Health Inspector, Lab Superintendent, Optometrist, Perfusionist, Pharmacist, Physiotherapist, Radiographer, Speech Therapist, ECG Technician, etc.
3. MINISTERIAL & ISOLATED CATEGORIES – This total examination happens in three phases. The first phase is the computer-based test where junior stenographer Hindi & English is a little different from the general test and is held separately. Phase 2 is the skill test in Stenography, translation or teaching skills. The final stage is the document verification or medical check-up. The question paper is again of 100 marks comprising Professional Ability (50), ), General Awareness (15), General Intelligence & Reasoning (15), Mathematics (10) and General Science (10). There is a 1/3 mark negative marking for each wrong answer. For stenographers in Hindi and English syllabus includes Antonyms, Synonyms, One word for, Sentence corrections, Idioms & phrases and also basic computers.
4. SAFETY STAFF – Railway Safety Staff Selection process comprises four levels including Computer based test (CBT), Physical Efficiency Test (PET), Document Verification and Merit List. The subjects include General Awareness, General Science, Mathematics & General Intelligence.
Eligibility vary between different positions mostly being graduation degree from recognized university except few posts like Junior Clerk cum Typist required one to be 12th pass only with a typing proficiency in Hindi or English.
To apply for the position of Junior Engineer, JE (IT), Depot Material Superintendent(DMS) and Chemical & Metallurgical Assistant(CMA), candidates need to be between 18 and 33 years of age (Gen) with a relaxation of 3 years for SC, ST and OBC and possess a Degree/Diploma in Engineering. For JE (IT), one needs a BCA/ B.Tech(IT)/DOEACC B level certificate. For CMA, candidates need to have a bachelor’s degree in PCB with a minimum of 55% marks. Candidates also need to be declared medically fit in vision with 6/9, 6/12, 6/18 distant and 0.6 near vision with or without glasses.
To apply for NTPC positions, candidates need to be between 18 and 30 years(General) with a relaxation of 3 years for SC, ST, and OBC. For different positions like Commercial Apprentice (CA), Station Master, Senior Ticket Clerk, Traffic Assistant & Goods Guard, one needs to have a degree from a recognized University. For all typist and timekeeper positions one needs additional typing proficiency in Hindi or English and in computers.
For Para-Medical positions, the age limit varies between 18 and 40 depending on the respective posts. To apply for Dieticians, one needs to have a PG Diploma in Dietetics after B.Sc or an M.Sc in Home Science after B. Sc Home Science. For Staff Nurse one needs a 3-years Nursing Certificate from INC or a B.Sc in Nursing. To apply for Dental Hygienist, one needs to Registered Certificate from DCI/Diploma or Certificate in Dental Hygience/2-years’ experience in the relevant field. Candidates applying for Dialysis Technicians need to have a B.Sc degree and a diploma in Haemodialysis.
As already declared and assured by Mr. Piyush Goyal, Railway Boards are coming up with almost 4 lakh jobs in 2023 – 20, with positions like ASM, NTPC, SSE, TC etc. Although the prospect is huge in the upcoming year one needs to have a clear focus, study plan, methodology and rigorous practice to clear any RRB exam at a single shot.
One needs to focus on a few important things on a priority basis while they are preparing for any RRB/RRC examination.
First comes the Time management factor. As there is negative marking in many of the papers, one needs to have a clear understanding and make the right decisions while they attempt any question. Secondly, they need to be thorough with the complete curriculum and syllabus. Further, candidates need to be relaxed and also prepared for the additional phases of recruitment like fitness examination, document verification. Last but not least, candidates need to relax and be confident with their knowledge and skills. The very success rate depends on the candidate who has sound thinking and management abilities to act wise and calm at the most stressful hours. India is coming up with huge opportunities for all applicants trying their luck in the Railways, and if persistent once can have a definitely bright future.